Re: Is stork a troll? (was Re: Trolltech QT license question)

Stork replied to:

No he hasn't.

Dave has repeatedly said that he is allowed to make and distribute a
closed source application with a GPL library, both. He argues that the
GPL does not have a legal standing to compel him to make his
application open source, and that, he has the right to redistribute the
library because the GPL gives him that right. So, he takes the benefit
of one part of the GPL, chucks the part that he doesn't like, and
essentially profits from open source software without living up to the
community. I don't think his legal claim to do so is as strong as he
thinks it is, and, more importantly, I think it is morally wrong to
exploit half a contract.

  • does this multi-value product exist?
    ... Obviously I am a GPL fan and to the best of my knowledge there is ... So the Open Source community feels helpless to fight the M$ cash pile ... > His choice of words was awkward but OpenQM _is_ only Open for Linux ... >>as GPL infection. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Richard Stallman is responsible for the shrinking economy
    ... others had released under the GPL - they claimed that since they owned ... the other possibility for why it is rarely done is that valuable copyrighted code rarely ends up in serious open source projects without the owner's permission - major open source projects are very careful about who contributes and where the code comes from. ... I'm sure there are lots of cases of sections of copyrighted code ending up in open source code under a different license, but only in rare cases is it worth pursuing that sort of infringement. ... For those with other programming jobs, it makes sense to clarify the position with your employer before contributing to open source projects. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: The Open Source Barrier
    ... wholly consistent (and plenty of reason to assume the opposite). ... >> web-page source), it is, by default, open source (even if it's legally ... >> I think that taken in isolation, the GPL is a bit extreme. ... > People can infect themselves with Real Worldviruses intentionally ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Copyleft and embedded Forth
    ... It is NOT a valid argument against the open source ... It would probably be a good idea for you to read the full GPL license ... logically and mechanically separate GPL parts. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: [OT-ish] Xara Xtreme
    ... > Licensing and Open Source ... > What license are you using for the open source version, ... > We are releasing Xara Xtreme under the GPL ... >> or compiled to run on RISC OS to protect people like yourself. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)