Re: In general, how long does it take to read/study the linux kernel source code?

Alvin wrote:
Jack wrote:

Thanks a lot.
I have knowledge of theory of operating system. But I have never
studied source code.
I am interested in it. So I want to generally how long it takes to
study the source code.

Jack

Any reason why Linux? With an OS theory background, I'd suggest you take a
look at Minix. It's smaller and simpler. Though the kernel design is
different, it may be easier/quicker to pickup. Once you understand how
Minix works, it may make understanding the Linux kernel easier. I'm not
suggesting that the two are comparable as the kernel methodologies of the
two are disjoint. I recommend Minix because it is a smaller/simpler OS that
may give you the experience you need to tackle something as complex as the
Linux kernel.

http://www.minix3.org/
I'd recommend Plan 9 rather, if you want to study an OS.

  • Re: In general, how long does it take to read/study the linux kernel source code?
    ... study the source code. ... Minix works, it may make understanding the Linux kernel easier. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Linux kernel development for a beginner
    ... I want to learn how the Linux kernel works and how I can help. ... started studying the source code to Minix, but I could use a lot of ... I know the basics of C/C++. ... understand what's going on in the source code, but I need to know the ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Linux kernel development for a beginner
    ... I want to learn how the Linux kernel works and how I can help. ... started studying the source code to Minix, but I could use a lot of ... I know the basics of C/C++. ... understand what's going on in the source code, but I need to know the ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Installing WOW on seprate Partition ?
    ... I have a book from 1987 which has the source code of Minix in it. ... is free distribution for artists that might otherwise have trouble ... It was the downloading that encouraged me to ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Installing WOW on seprate Partition ?
    ... I have a book from 1987 which has the source code of Minix in it. ... Can you run Windows XP on a sparc, arm, powerpc ... compile on one nix platform can also be compiled on other platforms most ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)