Re: IDE for Linux with good code completion

Bob Tennent napsal:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:57:41 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

>> And, I have not used a debugger since, well sometimes to look at generated
>> code, but not to fix programs.
>
> Thats crazy talk.
>
> You need to learn how to use a debugger properly.

I don't like debuggers. Without a debugger, you tend to think about
problems another way; you want to understand things on a different
level. It's partly source versus binary, but it's more than that. You
have to look at the level above sources, at the meaning of things.
Without a debugger, you basically have to go the next step: understand
what the program does.

Linus Torvalds
Posted to the Linux-kernel mail list on September 6, 2000.

Just one example of a debugger use: I have a base class, a smart
pointer, the pointer is safe, protected from accessing NULL pointers
and stuff, but sometimes in the code, I forget to initialize some
variable (most of the time I write code for hour or more and than
compile), and the program simply dies with an assertion call, tells mi
that I have accessed a null pointer, but can't tell me where I did
that, and that is where a debugger comes in place, simply shows you the
call stack, so can easily trace the problem.

  • Re: Non-constant constant strings
    ... simply restart your debugger session and begin again. ... if (!foo) { ... instruction pointer to the test, ... data being tested is no longer valid, etc., requiring a restart. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Whats the position of pointers
    ... something as core and basic is pointer usage. ... The basics ARE simple and ... any teacher worth his salt can get it across with a debugger and an OHP ... Normally one is only interested in ones local implementation. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Whats the position of pointers
    ... something as core and basic is pointer usage. ... The basics ARE simple and ... any teacher worth his salt can get it across with a debugger and an OHP ... If you are teaching a language then ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Dr. Watson crash dump in Visual C++
    ... > This pointer is often wrong in optimized code (the optimizer ... > doesn't generate enough debug info for the debugger to find it). ... > windbg to dump the stack and look for pointers to vtables: ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.debugger)
  • Re: debugger extentions ADDIN, how to resolve pointers?
    ... The other was to walk the first record of an ADO recordset. ... They are implemented in a dll which is called by the debugger through ... The problem is that when I try to evaluate a pointer to an ADO recordset, ... COleDateTime works OK because I read a copy of the whole object. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)