Re: IDE for Linux with good code completion

Bob Tennent napsal:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:57:41 +0200, Hadron Quark wrote:

>> And, I have not used a debugger since, well sometimes to look at generated
>> code, but not to fix programs.
>
> Thats crazy talk.
>
> You need to learn how to use a debugger properly.

I don't like debuggers. Without a debugger, you tend to think about
problems another way; you want to understand things on a different
level. It's partly source versus binary, but it's more than that. You
have to look at the level above sources, at the meaning of things.
Without a debugger, you basically have to go the next step: understand
what the program does.

Linus Torvalds
Posted to the Linux-kernel mail list on September 6, 2000.

Just one example of a debugger use: I have a base class, a smart
pointer, the pointer is safe, protected from accessing NULL pointers
and stuff, but sometimes in the code, I forget to initialize some
variable (most of the time I write code for hour or more and than
compile), and the program simply dies with an assertion call, tells mi
that I have accessed a null pointer, but can't tell me where I did
that, and that is where a debugger comes in place, simply shows you the
call stack, so can easily trace the problem.

.