Re: Alert process every minute real time? - Thanks!

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:48:06 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

I wrote:
Ntp (or Chrony) will not jump the clock. It will slew it gradually.

Charles Sullivan writes:
How gradual is gradual? I assume it can only slew by whole seconds,
or is that incorrect?

It is incorrect.

I guess I need to do some more reading on the subject.

Going from 01:02:59 to 01:03:01 would skip the whole-minute tick if I
don't plan for that possibility.

You have to plan for that possibility and for the possibility of the clock
going backward as well. The admin might set the time manually, or a
hardware or software bug might screw it up.

Yep, most of those possibilities. But a software bug in MY code -
NEVER!!! :-)

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan