Re: How do i avoid packet segmentation?

On 2006-10-12, owolablo <owolabileg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm writing a program that sends 1500 bytes of data at once, from the
client to the server. However, the packet is broken down into 3
different segments of 500 each before getting to the server. This is
detrimental to the program i'm writing as I need the server to receive
the entire 1500 bytes at once.

TCP doesn't work that way.

How do I avoid this segmentation.

You don't use TCP.

Is it a linux setting which I can change or is it a TCP
setting?

You can force fragementation by lowering the MTU of the
interface, but you can't prevent it.

either way, what can I do? I'm sending the packets using the C
send() function.

No, you're not sending packets.

You're sending a stream of bytes. That means you'd better be
prepared to receive a stream of bytes (one byte at a time if
the network so chooses).

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! BEEP-BEEP!! I'm a
at '49 STUDEBAKER!!

  • Packet cap diff... for classic dhcp over winxp s/w bridge prob.
    ... the server simultaneously. ... DHCP Discover - Transaction ID 0xe5448fbb ... Time delta from previous packet: ... Time since reference or first frame: ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • [Full-disclosure] Quick Blind TCP Connection Spoofing with SYN Cookies
    ... TCP uses 32 bit Seq/Ack numbers in order to make sure that both sides of a connection can actually receive packets from each other. ... these numbers make it relatively hard to spoof the source address because successful spoofing requires guessing the correct initial sequence number which is generated by the server in a non-guessable way. ... This article shows that the effort required for guessing a valid ISN can be reduced from hours to minutes if the server uses TCP SYN Cookies, which are enabled by default for various Linux distributions including Ubuntu and Debian. ... The Client sends a SYN packet to the server in order to initiate a connection. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Interesting TCP behaviour with large sends/small buffers
    ... The server, upon connection, sends a configurable number of bytes to ... I set the client's receive buffer size to 1MBps, ... packet before sending the next packet. ... ACK, according to the delayed ACK algorithm - 50KB bytes means 34 MSS- ...
  • Re: How to terminate a socket in CLOSE_WAIT state
    ... FTP Server fixed for certain FTP clients who use both passive ... This was causing a PASSIVE opened socket to be left ... but instead expect the "half close" from the receiver. ... this sends a TCP/IP FIN packet to the ...
  • Re: Sockets class question - sending TCP data
    ... Announcement DEV02, Workstation, Server, SQL Server, NT Workstation, NT ... Time delta from previous packet: ... Receiver's Name: DYNAMICSYSTEMS(Local Master Browser) ... You say that you did this in a Java applet. ...