Re: ISO: help porting C code to 64 bit linux platform

Jan Panteltje wrote:

I know it has been argued here that reading in a structure from a file is
_bad_. But it is done frequently in code I come across.

There are lots of wrong code anyway. But is better to take advice from good
one. Even Microsoft some time code wrote code that assumes int were 2 bytes
long, thinking that the people in the compiler group will never change that
to not break his code. They do. (Source: "Writing solid code" by Steve
Maguire, Microsoft Press). And surely many people do the same telling "Hey,
even Microsoft do it that way".

--
Salu2

  • Re: constant pop-up message
    ... > purportedly from Microsoft that my computer is affected ... You can secure your computer and clean it of adware/spyware... ... If you don't wish to follow all of the advice immediately, ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ...
  • Re: xlime.offeroptimizer
    ... > Does anyone here at MicroSoft XP know of this Pop-Up?I see nothing ... If you don't wish to follow all of the advice immediately, ... It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ...
  • Re: Is this really from Microsoft
    ... > I got an email supposedly from Microsoft that I'm ... It contains advice ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Running Processes
    ... >If you don't wish to follow all of the advice ... a "Windows" operating ... to say Microsoft ... firewall can be found ...
  • Re: Another problem with KB825732
    ... "KB835732" issue - have generally been the type of advice that is given to ... My machines aren't affected by this and none of my ... > Does this only occur on this one particular drive mapping? ... > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)