Re: Asterisk:

Douglas O'Neal <oneal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Rainer Weikusat wrote:
Grant Edwards <grante@xxxxxxxx> writes:
On 2007-02-19, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I use Slackware. I do not use KDE or GNOME and cannot imagine
wasting computer resources on that style of desktop manager,
because it would be far too confining for what I do with a
computer. I use an highly customized FVWM window manager. If
you want to work with the nitty gritty of unix systems
administration, Slackware is unbeatable.
I think Gentoo would give it a run for its money. :)
Not in this respect. Gentoo is a desktop for complexity-loving people
with lots of spare time to waste.

I spend less time managing my gentoo-based servers (mail, web, firewall,
mysql/oracle) than I do the Redhat-based ones even though I have three
times as many gentoo servers as redhat servers.

Gentoo is intended to be a so-called 'source based distribution', and
compiling software from sources takes more time than installing
precompiled software, IOW: So what?

Gentoo reduces the complexity of the system by loading and
configuring for only the software needed on the system.

Since distributions don't install themselves, this is nonsense.

  • Re: Asterisk:
    ... wasting computer resources on that style of desktop manager, ... Since distributions don't install themselves, ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Asterisk:
    ... wasting computer resources on that style of desktop manager, ... I use an highly customized FVWM window manager. ... I think Gentoo would give it a run for its money. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Asterisk:
    ... wasting computer resources on that style of desktop manager, ... options necessary for your environment working in precompiled software. ... your loading and configuration options. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Asterisk:
    ... wasting computer resources on that style of desktop manager, ... because it would be far too confining for what I do with a ... I think Gentoo would give it a run for its money. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)