Re: Is a binary with this libraries portable

Hi,

we had the "portable Application" Discussion a few days back. This
concept is a completely Windows one, as the problems to overcome are
Windows ones. On any Unix variant (which Linux is) you are not even
guaranteed that the user will use the same Operating System. Your
application may be run on Ubuntu Linux as well as FreeBSD Unix or
Solaris - and then on any CPU type these OS run on: 32-bit, 64-bit,
Intel-Compatible, SPARC, PowerPC, whatever.

So "portable" in the Unix world refers to a source package which is as
platform-independent as you can make it. If you don't want to distribute
your source you can try for Java but then Java can be disassembled easily.

Sorry, after some really bad experience in the windows world last year,
I'm rather fed up with that topic...

Ciao...

  • Re: How about the future of VC++/MFC
    ... And all those versions of Unix, with names that ended in -ix but which couldn't call ... There are more Windows boxes out there now than the sum of ALL computers made by ALL ... software cost money. ... it's OK to be locked into Java but not into MFC? ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: What am I doing wrong?
    ... Unix workstations. ... it must be mean ol' Windows' fault that anything's going ... I had MUCH more problems installing Java on Linux/Unix systems ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: What is the more popular UNIX flavor?
    ... about my experience with Solaris and Cygwin. ... installing packages. ... needing eg tftp you only need to activate on a Unix system. ... probably need installing first on the equivalent Windows system. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: Five Architectural Flaws in Windows Solved In Mac OS X
    ... But it is still an improvement over Unix, wherein *any executable* can be highly privileged and interact with the user. ... The usual security precautions prevent unauthorized people from doing this, but that's true on Windows also. ... I just got thru upgrading the wifes Mac to Tiger and hpfs is the default. ... This is a more advanced design that Unixes have been trying to duplicate by adding thread support. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Linux no threat to Microsoft
    ... originally developed for Unix. ... Windows has't come on any of the machines I've ever purchased. ... Yet over those years Linux Market Share on the desktop has actually ... philosophy of Apple - later adopted by Microsoft. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)