Re: Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

On a sunny day (Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:08:06 GMT) it happened
markhobley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mark Hobley) wrote in
<aq9fd5-8i7.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Kid <kid1972tw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC .
2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux .
3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each system .

There is also option 4.

4. Use Linux, and install any needed Microsoft Windows applications
using Wine

Most Microsoft Windows based applications tend to just run these days.
There is probably no need for a separate Microsoft Windows based
installation.

Mark.

One reason to install and use MS, is hardware that has only drivers for MS Windows.
It is my experience with wine (although my version is now a year old), that almost none
of those drivers + applications run.

Some programs that do not need USB or net drivers, run fine in wine on my system,
however I still need a real MS windows for the rest.

  • Re: KernelEx?
    ... certain motherboard drivers to load. ... Win98Se drivers that do not work - probably due to "motherboard ... applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Blue Screen - E520 - Best Buy
    ... I should ask him to bring down his Canon AIO printer and driver CD so I can install it. ... when using my own "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 Reinstallation CD" that came with my Inspiron i6400 laptop from January 2007, I was able to complete the Windows XP Home setup? ... Any Dell "reinstallation" CD will work on any system with a Dell BIOS. ... Then download and install the other drivers, usually video, Ethernet, and audio... ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Good news for SPARC
    ... >|Yes, Linux withn Wine, www.lindows.com, Softwindowscome to ... They are just emulators, but the code ... >waht runs Wine. ... A licensed copy of Microsoft Windows is still Microsoft Windows no ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Coming over from the dark side...
    ... > those years I have developed Microsoft Windows applications in C++ ... Introduction to Porting UNIX/Linux Applications to Mac OS X ...
    (comp.sys.mac.programmer.help)
  • Re: Executables are shown as File Folders.
    ... Follow the steps for Microsoft Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition ... However it is opening the msconfig in the notepad and showing all the executable code. ... What I noticed is that all the applications are shown as File Folder instead of applications. ...