Re: Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:08:07 GMT) it happened
markhobley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mark Hobley) wrote in
<306gd5-h58.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Jan Panteltje <PNaonStpealmtje@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One reason to install and use MS, is hardware that has only drivers for MS Windows.

Hmmm, I tend to avoid hardware that cannot be driven from an open source
system. (All of my systems are open source based.)

That said, I do handle third party computers, and I have not really had
any difficulties with using Linux on third party hardware.

In fact, last month I received a new machine. I installed Ubuntu on the
hard drive, ticked the box to install Wine, jumped on a random download
site, and downloaded an ran a Windows game, with the guy who
owned the machine standing next to me. I had no problems at all.

Sure, many thing work.
But for example there is no Linux support for my Canoscan 3000ex scanner,
and the windows drivers do no install in wine.
The DVD layout software for my Epson 200 printer runs under wine, but crashes
and messes up the graphics...
I can use cups and gimp to use that printer, but the Epsom program is a really
nice thing.
So I run it on win 98 partition :-)

I don't have many USB devices, so I don't know much about those, but I know
that my digital camera, and USB storage devices work, and I know that my mate,
who is a complete Linux newbie is using USB bluetooth to connect to his
mobile phone via Ubuntu.

Sure my digital camera does not work 100%, but I can use it in Linux,
by reading the SDcards....
In all cases it took some work.

If you have working hardware, I reckon you could migrate to Wine without
much difficulty.

Well, maybe wine has further improved last few month, I do have a legal
copy of win 98 for the difficult cases, although new hardware often does not
even come with drivers anymore for win 98.
It takes some research before you buy something to make sure it will
also work in Linux.
That is why I published some soft under GPL, like for the DCS900, and the Creative webcam,
so it can _really_ run native in Linux.

Due to the strange manoeuvres MS is making hopefully the world will move more towards Unix
in the future.
Vista is rejected by industry and business it seems, XP support has been extended,
but what will the next thing be?

.