Need small programming languages

Hello, I am now finally moving to linux from windows. I am ok with
using Linux, but I do not know much about what programming tools are
available. What I am looking for is some programming tools that meet
a few specific criteria.

1) Easy to download/install/configure on a debian distribution. In
other words, not requiring me to download a bunch of other stuff in
order to get said compiler to work.

2) Standalone executables. I'm just not a big fan of the whole .net/
java thing. I want stand-alone binaries (and preferably small ones.)

3) Not a huge package with millions of files and a full-scale ide and
whatnot. I tried downloading free pascal, but it's just too much of a
monster to download and configure.

I'm looking for something that would be similar to rapiq-q or AutoIt 3
on the windows platform. Just something that is easy to set up and can
be used to create small utilities with.

dos-man

  • Re: Dev-C++ compiling problem in Vista
    ... Linux system like Gerard Beekmans. ... holes and exploits that plague Windows due to the latter failure to ... And many of the programs you'll need are on the install CD itself. ... have to trust the site you download from. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Linux
    ... newsgroups..that Id not turned on my windows box all weekend. ... I dont have the same comfort levels with Linux yet..but then..when I ... Win 2K apps actually run FAR more reliably with VMware isolating ... You can download the free vmware player for linux, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: OT Ububtu
    ... pain to download and integrate cohesively. ... with Fedora and LAMP but Ubuubtu is how Linux should be. ... How do I set up my media links between the HDTV, ... In windows it's just a couple clicks ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: 9.1, not for me yet
    ... > loose term, since it is better for what? ... Linux is 'better' for me, ... Delphi/Pascal, etc.) and all the programming tools I used, was getting ... of the "all in one" IDEs but practically *forced* to use them in Windows ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Semi Off-Topic, The Spirit of Commodore Returns
    ... Most fail if they know Windows since a longer time ... Well a Linux' package manager is a "universal installer", ... Like you want to install Thunderbird? ... It will download, extract and install it, and will *not* nag you with any ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)