Re: How to change my c++ program's icon?

Dos-Man 64 wrote:

On Sep 21, 11:32 pm, Ryan McCoskrie <ryan.mccosk...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Dos-Man 64 wrote:
Is there some way to change the icon of a program compiled with gcc or
g++? I didn't see any compiler options in the man pages. Perhaps the
linker has a switch?

There is no icon compiled into it unless you place one there yourself.
Adding things like that is not the role of the compiler or linker.

What widget set are you working with?

None. This is just a traditional c++ terminal application without any
GUI.

Still, if it was a say a gtk+ app, none of the books I got demonstrate
a method of changing the icon of the executable. I also had some
trouble changing the default application icon for free pascal
applications designed with lazarus. Not sure what the problem was;
just didn't seem to work. Also couldn't change the form.icon property.

I think the best advise here is forget everything you know about
computers[1].

_ALL_ of it.

Search for "Unix programming"[2] on the web.
Start learning again.

[1] I had to do this as well a while ago.
[2] This will mostly be C and shell script but
the principles are mainly what you need to
learn.

  • Re: How to change my c++ programs icon?
    ... linker has a switch? ... There is no icon compiled into it unless you place one there yourself. ... Adding things like that is not the role of the compiler or linker. ... trouble changing the default application icon for free pascal ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • RE: Compile and gone! (Was: Re: VMS>7.3 Linker Manual - I64 Short Data restriction)
    ... Don't know what happened between 8.1 and 8.3 with the Linker or whether ... the compiler requested address constants. ... This form of the 'add' instruction ... relocations that would let the linker fill in the 64-bit literal of a ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Fortran Guru requested
    ... > In 20 odd years of VMS Fortran programming, I have never yet seen a compiler ... > at the linker if wires have crossed in this example. ... If you have received the email in error, please notify TransGrid ... individual sender except where the sender expressly and with ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Include statements and compiler linking
    ... Why is it that the header file doesnt need to be linked ... linker not knowing the PATH to the header file. ... -there is function (e.g printf), ... You tell the compiler how to use the code ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: c program binary/image in memory
    ... be clear of the usage and the works of this mysterious tool called THE LINKER. ... To be honest, I don't even know what the sections are named on Linux, SCO, AIX or Windows yet I quite happily write C code that runs on all of them. ... works on a toy OS" and "how a compiler _could_ work anywhere". ... Compiler and linker between them generate a linked list of initialisations that need to be done, and the application started code runs along the linked list reading address, size and initial value information and initialising things appropriately. ...
    (comp.lang.c)