Re: Plug-ins? THANKS!

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 19:33:13 +0000, Charles Sullivan wrote:

I am the developer of a FOSS software written entirely in C language
which is acquiring more and more optional features as time goes on, some
of which are of no use to a sizable subset of users.

What I've done thusfar is isolate blocks of code with #ifdef ... #endif
statements so the user can omit unneeded features at configure/make
time, however this doesn't help users who are installing from
precompiled libraries.

Is it possible to program/compile this C software so that modules with
optional features are linked in after a run-time stub determines which
ones are needed? If so, where can I find information about doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

Thanks guys, your responses are much appreciated. After reading David's
excellent comments however, I realize I probably won't accomplish much by
pursuing this approach and I'm better off leaving well enough alone.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

  • Re: Plug-ins?
    ... Charles Sullivan writes: ... which is acquiring more and more optional features as time goes on, ... of which are of no use to a sizable subset of users. ... Is it possible to program/compile this C software so that modules with ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Plug-ins?
    ... which is acquiring more and more optional features as time goes on, ... of which are of no use to a sizable subset of users. ... You can bring dynamic shared objects (often wrongfully called shared ... libraries) at runtime and even do binds to the symbols for ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)