Re: Reading lilo.conf info from boot sector

From: johninsd at san dot rr dot com (bitbucket_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/28/03

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:40:24 GMT

On 25 Jul 2003 07:17:27 -0700, prakash_achuthan@yahoo.com (prksh) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Sorry, I am reposting this message.
>
>I am having a system which boots from a Raid1 device (md0 or md1),
>each of them have two mirrored partitions
>md0 -> /dev/hda1, /dev/hdc1
>md1 -> /dev/hde1. /dev/hdg1
>
>Now, Can somebody tell me how to read the lilo.conf info written by
>lilo to the boot sector? I have to write a program which would dump
>the lilo info by reading the boot sector.

The info from "lilo.conf" is spread over several areas: boot sector,
second-stage loader, map file descriptor area, keytable, &c. The placement of
this information is highly dependent upon the version of LILO in use, and may
change in the future without notice.

--John

LILO version 22++ links at:
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: LILO with root-raid nightmare - please help.
    ... Kernel & BIOS return differing head/sector geometries for device 0x80 ... /dev/hda is not on the first disk /boot/boot.0300 exists - no boot sector backup copy made. ... I believe the problem may have stemmed from the fact that I originally set up the array on woody with a version of lilo that needed to overwrite the mbr of each of the physical disks, apparently this isn't the default behavior for raid in newer versions of lilo. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: grubby: unable to open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory
    ... Thomas Rabaix wrote: ... Development beyond version 21 Copyright 1999-2006 John Coffman ... The boot sector and the map file have *NOT* been altered. ... this is true, as noted in 1st line of lilo response, it proves out ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: RAID-1 root/boot/lilo problem
    ... My original intention was to make lilo write to a degraded /dev/md0 to get ... RAID list: /dev/hdc is device 0x1600 ... Reading boot sector from /dev/md0 ... The boot record of /dev/md0 has been updated. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: lilo not "accepting" a new kernel
    ... LILO version 22.6.1, ... Debian GNU/Linux ... Reading boot sector from /dev/hda ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo not "accepting" a new kernel
    ... # lilo -v LILO version 22.6.1, ... Reading boot sector from /dev/hda ... Some time between 2.6.13 & 2.6.14, the Debian people changed the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)