Re: Chinese V-Dragon processor running Midori Linux

From: Christopher Browne (cbbrowne_at_acm.org)
Date: 07/29/03

    Date: 29 Jul 2003 03:24:58 GMT

    Quoth totojepast@atlas.cz (totojepast):
    > I was amazed when I've read some information about the Chinese
    > V-Dragon processor running Midori Linux:
    > http://news.google.com/news?q=v-dragon

    > They claim IBM helped them to design the processor - does it mean it
    > is PowerPC-based?

    There was some talk a while back about a Chinese fab of a PPC-based
    chip.

    But this doesn't sound like that; it sounds a lot more like they're
    putting a brave face on having basically built Yet Another IA-32
    clone.

    It shouldn't be too remarkable that a Chinese company could build
    IA-32 clones; after all, they have plants that build motherboards, and
    Samsung, in Korea, not _too_ far away, is one of the makers of Alpha
    chips. (Wonder how China got the ability to build Alphas? Well,
    Korea's closer than the US...)

    --
    let name="aa454" and tld="freenet.carleton.ca" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/hardware.html

    • Re: Chinas Own Chip Will Challenge Intel
      ... oil, China's information industry needs its own CPU," or central ... the only industries that would be able to compete would be the ... They are still the largest chip ... lazy, worthless, stupid Chinese have a go at it. ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • Re: Chinas Own Chip Will Challenge Intel
      ... the chips designed in China will be ready for exports. ... the only industries that would be able to compete would be the ... They are still the largest chip ... lazy, worthless, stupid Chinese have a go at it. ...
      (soc.retirement)