Re: Chinese V-Dragon processor running Midori Linux

From: Christopher Browne (cbbrowne_at_acm.org)
Date: 07/29/03

    Date: 29 Jul 2003 03:24:58 GMT

    Quoth totojepast@atlas.cz (totojepast):
    > I was amazed when I've read some information about the Chinese
    > V-Dragon processor running Midori Linux:
    > http://news.google.com/news?q=v-dragon

    > They claim IBM helped them to design the processor - does it mean it
    > is PowerPC-based?

    There was some talk a while back about a Chinese fab of a PPC-based
    chip.

    But this doesn't sound like that; it sounds a lot more like they're
    putting a brave face on having basically built Yet Another IA-32
    clone.

    It shouldn't be too remarkable that a Chinese company could build
    IA-32 clones; after all, they have plants that build motherboards, and
    Samsung, in Korea, not _too_ far away, is one of the makers of Alpha
    chips. (Wonder how China got the ability to build Alphas? Well,
    Korea's closer than the US...)

    --
    let name="aa454" and tld="freenet.carleton.ca" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/hardware.html