Re: open source windows

From: dilipkc (chhetri_inside_at_yahoo.co.in)
Date: 09/10/03

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:44:22 +0000

Grant Edwards wrote:
> In article <3F5DBE66.5040506@yahoo.co.in>, dilipkc wrote:
>

>>>As has been pointed out several times in this thread, what you
>>>are asking for is exactly what "wine" does: provide a Windows
>>>API for Linux.
>>

>>Not exactly, how will you use Windows device driver with Wine ?
>

> The "A" in API stands for "application".
>
> Emulating the Windows API and emulating the windows
> kernel/driver interface are completely different projects.

good catch, I surrender. I actually meant to say driver-interface
and API.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: GWindows and David Botton
    ... >Gwindows becomes a better supported and more widely used project. ... I want to do printing additions in two stages. ... The existing thin binding to the Windows printing API should not be ... Windows API procedures and functions that use string arguments. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: [opensuse] KDE3 again :)
    ... Better then Windows XP, but underdog for anything that came after. ... Drivers are the hardware vendor's problem, and there will be at any time bad ... Emulating gives no reference to what is emulated and how close. ... It was time when people were grateful for gifts and if one wanted more, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: AlphaVM on OSX?
    ... that is more current than 7.3-2 (SimH emulating Alpha isn't available yet…) ... Has anyone got AlphaVM working on OSX and if so, ... I am seeing some problems with clustering occasionally with the current versions as it appears that sometimes the paravirtualized network drivers on the Microsoft Windows VM occasionally stop working until I reboot that VM. ... up a SimH system. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: [announcement] SYSAPI and SYSSVC for Windows
    ... >> SYSAPI is a package that interfaces directly to the Microsoft Windows API. ... It would also require that there's a dynamic binding to some of the Windows ... SYSAPI is the layer that sits directly on top of the Windows API, ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: How to automatically start an ASP.NET Web Service
    ... tool (via .NET framework or Windows API) that will help, ... You mentioned a few...when IIS ... - for the .NET CLR there is a profiling tool that I have used in the ...