Re: open source windows

From: dilipkc (chhetri_inside_at_yahoo.co.in)
Date: 09/11/03

    Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:09:50 +0000

    > Trying to use one class of Windows drivers like for example display drivers
    > is certainly easier than using Windows drivers in general. Still it is not
    > an easy task, and I think it might be easier to just reverse engineer the
    > original driver, and write the Linux driver from scratch. Certainly I would
    > expect a better result that way. Anyway I'm a litle interested in this
    > Radeon 9700 project as I actually have some problems getting a Radeon chip
    > in one of my computers working at an acceptable speed. Doesn't say anywhere
    > exactly which Radeon version it is. Do you have a pointer for some of his
    > work?

    off-course the effort is required, so my question now is which one
    requires more effort,
      a) Writing wine to run windows application.
                    OR
      b) Modifying Linux kernel to give Windows API and Driver interface.

      If both are comparable then it's certainly wise to implement case "b",
      as it will enable you run Windows application better than wine.