FAT16 corruption

From: David A. Ferguson (DavidAFergusonDELETETHIS_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/11/04

Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:11:37 -0500

What would cause FAT16 corruption?

I dual boot between Linux and XP. Occasionally when I write a file to my
FAT16
in Linux and switch to XP, the file won't be there and XP's chkdsk will say
that
partition is corrupt (usually reporting missing blocks). The FAT16 will
work fine
after chkdsk, though the files I wanted to transfer will be missing.

I can't repo the problem every time, but I am looking for examples.

I am using a fresh install of the Mandrake distro 10 official.

Are there some settings I can add to fstab to fix this?
Does this have to do with writing to the root?
Is it because I am using long file names?
Is there some cache that I should flush before shutdown?

Thanks...David

Relevant Pages

  • FAT16 Corruption
    ... What would cause FAT16 corruption? ... I dual boot between Linux and XP. ... partition is corrupt (usually reporting missing blocks). ... after chkdsk, though the files I wanted to transfer will be missing. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: FAT16 corruption
    ... > What would cause FAT16 corruption? ... > I dual boot between Linux and XP. ... > after chkdsk, though the files I wanted to transfer will be missing. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: XP upgrade: FAT32 to NTFS
    ... ChkDsk is not hot air, but it is NOT an interactive tool either. ... >disc, a similar disc using Bart's PE Builder, or just boot from a Knoppix ... installation's registry. ... Knoppix and other Linux boot disks ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Knoppix
    ... I don't see how it differs from the Linux approach. ... Because it writes on a defective disk before all savable data on the disk is saved. ... And because CHKDSK is particularly lousy at handling problems with logical pointers, i.e. filecluster mappings. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)