Re: GNU License Question, On Change of Code

From: Larry I Smith (larryXiXsmith_at_verizon.net)
Date: 02/01/05

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:45:00 GMT

ieeestd802@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If we made some changes to some GNU free distributed software. Are we
> obligated to make our changes available to public ?
>
> Be specific, we are building a special website, and for that, we make
> changes in httpd source code. Any experience users who visit our
> website will know that we made some changes to httpd source code. Are
> we obligated to make our changes (in source code )available to general
> public ? (Since it took lots of our time and works, we certainly want
> to avoid it). However, we are not sure if we completely understand the
> requirement of GNU license.
>
> Thanks.

If the 'httpd' referenced in your message is Apache, then the
Apache license applies, not the GPL.

Read the license that applies to the code you changed. If
you don't understand it, get a lawyer to help.

Larry

  • Re: Does the python library of Google Data API is truly free?
    ... The software itself is governed by the Apache License 2.0, ... Google get many rights about your content, and that you have not any ... you submit, post or display on or through, the Services..." ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Extended Hamming encode/decode
    ... I'd go for a FreeRTOS-style modified GPL saying that the original ... library's public interface is not bound by the license. ... eCos. ... Apache license is a good example. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Writing PNG with pure Python
    ... But it is also incompatible with the GPL: ... the Apache License was compatible with the GPL, ... X11 License (aka MIT License) ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: New Apache License?
    ... > but I haven't seen any comments on the new Apache license. ... > with the GPL - does anybody know more about this? ... the FSF's legal counsel thinks that it's incompatible. ...
    (Fedora)