umount extension scripts

From: JF Larvoire (jean-francois_larvoire_at_remove_this.hp.com)
Date: 02/24/05

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:47:32 +0100

Hello,

I'm working on file systems. (Experimenting on Lustre)

The mount command supports extensions based on the file system type:
"mount -t TYPE..." will call the program /sbin/mount.TYPE
This is used for example by Samba, and "mount -t smb" calls /sbin/mount.smb.

We've used this mechanism successfully for our case.

But unfortunately we'd need a symetric extension for the umount program...
... and this is not implemented in umount.
Actually when we look in umount sources, it's implemented, but
commented-out!

We built a modified version of umount with this, and it works nicely.

So we wonder why this did not make it into the standard distributions.
Is there a good reason why this was commented-out?

Another thing we though of is to extend this mechanism by adding another set
of
optional scripts:
preparation scripts called before the mount,
and cleanup scripts called after the umount.
But contrary to the existing extensions, these scripts would return, and let
the
rest of the job be done by mount/umount.
This would avoid duplicating in our scripts much code from mount/umount,
with all the risks of incompatibilities, etc.
Any comment?

Jean-François

PS. And is there a news group dedicated to file system developments?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mount - as regular user?
    ... >> mount they also need umount. ... Chris> scripts with the commands that are to be allowed, ... Chris> those in the sudoers file. ... what and how the users can mount and umount. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Unable to unmount idle filesystem on 6.2
    ... devfs on /dev ... # umount -f /usr/ports ... # mount -o ro /usr/ports ... The filesystem was mounted read-only, then upgraded to rw so I could update the ports tree. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: User unable to umount
    ... On 30/05/13 10:50, Erwan David wrote: ... There is no point to allowing user to mount but forbiding them yo umount the directory they mounted. ... You shouldn't be allowed to simply unmount something on a low system ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [opensuse] Re: script support and partition requirements of systemd? (was Re: system scripts using B
    ... scripts" are no longer supported in upcoming systemd versions, this scripts are provided by distributions to setup stuff *before* any user provided scripts are even taken into consideration. ... unless I first boot into 'S' and mount /usr. ... It used to be that it would use the pre-level 1 startup scripts like ... I have to boot to level 'S' ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Switch-off problem
    ... - I mount the remote usb drive. ... - my wife switches off her computer. ... I suppose the shutdown program also tries to umount nfs mounts, but fails, and then instead of skipping this step, just hangs. ... system hangs immediately after typing the first 3 characters" sounds very strange. ...
    (Debian-User)