Re: Kernel Thread + address space..

From: Josef Moellers (josef.moellers_at_fujitsu-siemens.com)
Date: 08/16/05

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:33:26 +0200

guruteck@gmail.com wrote:
> HI All
>
> 1. I want to know why kernel thread dont have address space..??
> As it uses previous process address space in execution...

Merely by accident. It runs in kernel space.

> 2. In Linux it uses pure demand paging or Just demand paging??
>
> 3. Can kernel send signals to userspace???

Yes, e.g. a SIGSEGV is usually not sent by another process but by the
memory manager inside the kernel.

--
Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
						-- T.  Pratchett

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [patch 2/3] scheduler: add full memory barriers upon task switch at runqueue lock/unlock
    ... This is showing an execution sequence involving the userspace RCU ... library and the Linux kernel with sys_membarrier. ... the comment should explain "why" the memory barrier is ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Q on audit, audit-syscall: insecure?
    ... How does this audit method overcome the well known security ... audit time, and a second, different object is used when the kernel ... the user space buffer into the kernel space buffer which the kernel ... systems have been known to achieve CAPP and LSPP certification. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Unexpected Error With CE.BIB file
    ... ways to get code to run in kernel mode, and you can only stop that by ... in user mode can't access kernel mode space, ... Anything running in kernel mode can access both user and kernel space. ... load dlls that are running in kernel mode. ...
  • Re: Unexpected Error With CE.BIB file
    ... why to divide it as kernel space and user space? ... about the K flag, that only applies to developers building images. ... Anything running in kernel mode can access both user and kernel space. ... Move the component that loads hidparse into kernel space, ...
  • Re: few questions
    ... The Linux operating system is divided via memory protection hardware on ... the cpu into two general classes: kernel space and user space. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)