Re: defrag on linux system

From: Chris Friesen (cfriesen_at_nortel.com)
Date: 08/25/05

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:22:02 -0600

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Peter already explained those things don't matter if there are
> multiple processes running/accessing hds. Keep in mind, Linux is
> not a doze replacement.

I realize that. I simply said that it apparently makes a difference on
Microsoft's filesystems, and provided a link to a Microsoft webpage
where they themselves say that it impacts win2k. Peter seems to
disagree with them, and I'm curious about it.

Chris

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Does Microsoft lie about the Linux features?
    ... > configurations of individual permissions to the file level. ... a clue what Linux is, much less ever tried using it. ... Never mind the fact that Windows uses 14-character case-insensitive ... DOS-style 8.3 format (even though they never intended DOS to read NTFS ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Does Microsoft lie about the Linux features?
    ... > configurations of individual permissions to the file level. ... a clue what Linux is, much less ever tried using it. ... Never mind the fact that Windows uses 14-character case-insensitive ... DOS-style 8.3 format (even though they never intended DOS to read NTFS ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Does Microsoft lie about the Linux features?
    ... > configurations of individual permissions to the file level. ... a clue what Linux is, much less ever tried using it. ... Never mind the fact that Windows uses 14-character case-insensitive ... DOS-style 8.3 format (even though they never intended DOS to read NTFS ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Building drivers from scratch
    ... Josh Utter wrote: ... I have device in mind that I'd like ... Here is a link to a tutorial for hacking the Linux ... Online Store provides everyday consumption choices, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: routing VoIP through a regular phone line
    ... Connect to Linux box via internet and have that Linux box provide a ... So, I'm thinking, I don't understand what you have in mind ... ... the PSTN voice system will be the easiest way to go. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)