kernel booting

I seem to be having this problem booting again. I'm using lilo now. And
I have renamed the 2.6.16 kernel from bzImage to vmlinuz-2.6.16 and put it
in lilo as such.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16

Now the rest of the boot info is where I'm confused. My lilo asks for map
and boot. The default is.
boot=/boot/boot.b //RH 7.0
map=/boot/map

Now the 2.6 kernel creates System.map-2.6.16. And vmlinux. What files do
I need to copy from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to the /boot directory
other than bzImage to boot the 2.6.16 kernel? There is no map file there so
that must be old from the 2.2 kernel. There is a bootsect there and a
bootsect with extensions .S and .o is the bootsect an executable? Does it
need to go to boot=/boot/bootsect in lilo? What about the map that lilo asks
for? There's also some files the compiled kernel generates called end.S.
What do I need to get copied to where to boot this new kernel?

Bill

  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [opensuse] Re: 13.1 partition scheme
    ... But it has a severe disadvantage: that after a kernel ... With grub you never face this particular problem, ... "ok" for a boot disk. ... lilo uses the kernel I/O routines to support the lowest common denominator. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Does lilo still have a limit on its menu entries?
    ... All my Debian installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, originally started off as ... Woody 3.0r2, and LiLo was, and still is the bootloader. ... The original kernel when I installed Woody 3.0r2 was a bf one. ... remove this original boot floppy kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer ... for lilo myself. ... and DSF (Device Support Facilities). ... was that a new kernel was installed without lilo being run. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it
    ... At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit ... You see, the kernel image on disk, ... The compression ratio for an amd64-architecture kernel is significantly ...
    (Debian-User)