Re: kernel booting

"Bill Marcum" <bmarcum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ei4eh3-qof.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"lilo" and "/sbin/lilo" are the same if /sbin is in your PATH. In your
other post you said you boot with loadlin. You only need one boot
loader, whether it's loadlin or lilo or grub or something else. If you
use lilo, "boot=" should have the name of a drive or partition, probably
boot=/dev/hda. "install=" would contain the name of the boot sector
file (in versions of lilo before 22.3.)

Ok if I use loadlin does that bypass lilo altogether? I'm using such an
old version of RH that alot could've changed in the kernel since RH 7. I use
whatever version of lilo comes with that distro. I haven't updated it. I
have thought about trying grub. There is no compiled boot.b file in the
2.6.16 kernel files. But my lilo refers to it because of the 2.2 kernel.
Boot.b needs to be replaced with something. Is there any good docs
somewhere concerning the kernel. The 2.6 kernel?

Bill

  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Does lilo still have a limit on its menu entries?
    ... All my Debian installs, Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, originally started off as ... Woody 3.0r2, and LiLo was, and still is the bootloader. ... The original kernel when I installed Woody 3.0r2 was a bf one. ... remove this original boot floppy kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: swapping master & slave HDs: what to change?
    ... >Otherwise, I might play with the BIOS boot prority, right? ... >>whereapon you must run lilo. ... >of install target partition and kernel address didn't match the kernel ... Grub is Grand. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")
    ... I've been tempted to volunteer to become the upstream maintainer ... for lilo myself. ... and DSF (Device Support Facilities). ... was that a new kernel was installed without lilo being run. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lilo config is busted, need help fixing it
    ... At my pace of kernel file growth, I won't hit the lilo 22.8 16MB limit ... You see, the kernel image on disk, ... The compression ratio for an amd64-architecture kernel is significantly ...
    (Debian-User)