Re: help with huge memory consumption??

On Mar 14, 12:04 pm, phil-news-nos...@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I still don't see how this says that one cannot compare threads and processes.
I'm still comparing them. Obviously the conclusion of the comparison is that
there are differences, and few applications could hope to just work the same
on either. But still, that doesn't eliminate comparing.

You can compare threads and processes as different approaches to a
particular problem. However, the comparison has to relate to how that
problem would be solved with threads versus how that problem would be
solved with processes.

What I'm talking about is things like comparing the cost of creating
one process to the cost of creating one thread. The same goes for
comparing the cost of a context switch between processes to a context
switch between threads.

It's like comparing the cost of a basket of apples to a bushel of
oranges. It isn't a useful number until you multiply it by how many
baskets of apples or how many bushels of oranges you need. It only
makes sense to compare those two numbers to each other if the numbers
are the same or nearly so.

DS

  • Re: OT : Save Windows XP
    ... When comparing the cost of a 15" Laptop from Apple to a comparable 15" PC, I can not justify the cost difference. ... In the consumer world, most MS apps that run under windoze will run under XP or VISTA, the two "current" operating systems. ... And while Gates is a very wealthy man, he is most busy these days working to give his money away through his foundation. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Are you happy with your fascist mentality, ADR?
    ... crisis had a better standard of living in Greece than you! ... us the cost of living in a given country, ... When comparing the cost of living in one country versus another, ...
    (soc.culture.greek)
  • Re: OT : Save Windows XP
    ... comparing the cost of a 15" Laptop from Apple to a comparable 15" PC, ... their is a petition to request MS continue selling XP beyond their ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: Is our hobby getting more expensive or what?
    ... We seem to be getting lost in another debate comparing the ... the big shock is the Atlas turnout. ... The other 4 items average about 7.3% cost increase per year ...
    (rec.models.railroad)
  • Re: OT : Save Windows XP
    ... When comparing the cost of a 15" Laptop from Apple to a comparable 15" PC, I can not justify the cost difference. ... I looked online to see when was the last date Windows will be selling the XP version, and noticed that their is a petition to request MS continue selling XP beyond their current cut off date of June 30. ...
    (rec.boats)