Re: help with huge memory consumption??

On Mar 14, 12:04 pm, phil-news-nos...@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I still don't see how this says that one cannot compare threads and processes.
I'm still comparing them. Obviously the conclusion of the comparison is that
there are differences, and few applications could hope to just work the same
on either. But still, that doesn't eliminate comparing.

You can compare threads and processes as different approaches to a
particular problem. However, the comparison has to relate to how that
problem would be solved with threads versus how that problem would be
solved with processes.

What I'm talking about is things like comparing the cost of creating
one process to the cost of creating one thread. The same goes for
comparing the cost of a context switch between processes to a context
switch between threads.

It's like comparing the cost of a basket of apples to a bushel of
oranges. It isn't a useful number until you multiply it by how many
baskets of apples or how many bushels of oranges you need. It only
makes sense to compare those two numbers to each other if the numbers
are the same or nearly so.

DS

.