Re: Adding a new OSI layer

chrb81@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear all,

I'm currently thinking about what would be the best way to add a (ISO/
OSI) layer 5 into the linux system.
I would expect applications to directly use this layer instead of the
transport layer - no socket(...) anymore but something different.

What would be the strategy to achieve something like this? Is it
really necessary to modify the kernel or is it sufficient to modifiy
glibc to rewrite socket(...) to introduce my own layer function calls
which in turn do the transport layer calls?

I would really appreciate your ideas/suggestions on this topic

The obvious question would be: is it absolutely necessary to put this into the kernel or could it safely and reliably be implemented in user space?
AFAIK, OSI layer 5, the session layer, is process-related, so I would think it could be implemeneted in a library.

But then, IANANE,

Josef
Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
-- T. Pratchett

  • Re: SNA: conflicting opinions
    ... OSI was supposed to take over the world - starting with the governments. ... you are guilty of violating the ISO model here. ... layer and provides services to the "upper" layer. ... "HSP protocol" to x3s3.3 for standardization ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Rethinking DECNET ?
    ... layer, ... DECnet can't do it that way, since authentication is outside of the ... TCP/IP, in spite of all the people talking about it, do not follow the ... OSI 7 layer model at all, while DECnet actually do. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Adding a new OSI layer
    ... mechanism itself is also part of the kernel, ... ISO/OSI Layer 5 is the Session Layer, not the Transport Layer! ... I see no reason why the Session Layer should be implemented in kernel space. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Stack - another misnomer
    ... "Stack" is supposed to imply that these collections of software based on IP ... and related protocols constitute something close to the OSI model.They ... Now, since the lowest layer ... meaningfully constitute the UDP flavour of the transport layer. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Rethinking DECNET ?
    ... It is not even meaningful to talk about the OSI 7 ... layer model if we want to talk about TCP/IP. ... the picture in VAXman's link. ...
    (comp.os.vms)