Re: Why would top show the processes are using swap when there is no swap space?

jinzishuai@xxxxxxxxx <jinzishuai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in part:
This is part of the output from "top".
We can confirm that no swap space is used.
However, VIRT=RES+SWAP and SWAP is not zero:
VIRT=2164, RES=1144, SWAP=1020 and 2164=1144+1020

My question is: since there is no space disk, where to swap
to pages to? Thanks a lot.

Two things -- first, did you positively turnoff swap
with `swapoff` and /etc/fstab and `mount` show no swap?

The other is that VIRT=RES+SWAP+MAPPED .
MAPPED is mostly codepages that haven't been
accessed, so don't need to be loaded.

SHR can also make memory accounting difficult.

-- Robert

  • Re: excessive swap-in time
    ... Trying to do it all with RAM is just inefficient. ... I find that does not work well when the swapping is caused by excessive I/O ... Or you could have 5 TB of swap space. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Summary swap rules.
    ... So it looks as if swap is mostly not used anymore and can be kept pretty ... Tim Bradshaw stated what I privately felt- that 1:1 swap to memory is ... so it's really only around for memory leaks and core dumps. ... think) which are written to swap space. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: malloc does not return null when out of memory
    ... >> actual RAM and swap are exhausted. ... Having actually worked on the IRIX VM system, and on vswap ... Adding Virtual Swap Space ... You can create a normal file of larger than 0 length and allocate it as ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • RE: Where do you put your swap partition?
    ... so I can mount /tmp on a tmpfs file system. ... it, hits the disk several times, even with a large buffer cache. ... don't have enough ram, you have to swap, but you're no worse off than ... disk and /var on a third, and have swap space defined on all three. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is Greenspun enough?
    ... the swap copy can be liberated. ... This means that whatever swap space you configure nicely ... If you have a gigabyte of RAM, ... >gigabyte VM with one gigabyte of RAM, you need two gigabytes of disk ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)