Re: Hi all, knew to Linux, been doing Windows drivers for over ten years though, whats a good book?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:18:12 GMT Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| fat_boy <zzebowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|>
|>Hi all, after many years with Windows drivers I think its a god time
|>to start looking at Linux. Can anyone recomend a good book and some
|>resources to get started?
|
| In my view, the best place to start is in the kernel source code itself.
| There are hundreds of working drivers in there to learn from. That's the
| huge advantage of a system like Linux.

I do not recommend starting there. It is, however, a useful resource when
finally diving into developing a real Linux driver. Start with the book
then morph an existing driver to something different to get your feet wet.

Also, be sure when you develop a driver that you make sure it works fine
even when configured as a non-module built-in driver. Some of us prefer
to have "solid" kernels custom compiled for each machine.