Re: how elevator algorithm works in modern hard disks?

forrest wrote:
On 1月22日, 下午7时37分, Josef Moellers <josef.moell...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

forrest wrote:

Hi Everyone,
It's said that physical geometry is invisible to the cpu and is
unimportant. However, if the geometry is entirely different with the
logical one, which the cpu can see, how does elevator algorithm work?
As we know, elevator algorithm always find the nearest block in some
direction, which depends on the actual geometry of a disk.

Elevator algorithm is used in linux kernel, so there must be some
details that I don't know. Could anyone tell me?

Replacement strategies put aside, rotating disks are still organized in
cylinders, and even if they are of varying sizes (outer cylinders having
more sectors that inner cylinders), a higher sector number still implies
a higher or equal cylinder number.

Is there any reading material I can refer to? I want to know more
details about it.

Don't know, sorry.

Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  • Re: how elevator algorithm works in modern hard disks?
    ... It's said that physical geometry is invisible to the cpu and is ... elevator algorithm always find the nearest block in some ... Replacement strategies put aside, rotating disks are still organized in cylinders, and even if they are of varying sizes, a higher sector number still implies a higher or equal cylinder number. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: how elevator algorithm works in modern hard disks?
    ... It's said that physical geometry is invisible to the cpu and is ... cylinders, and even if they are of varying sizes (outer cylinders having ... a higher sector number still implies ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: how elevator algorithm works in modern hard disks?
    ... if the geometry is entirely different with the ... |>> logical one, which the cpu can see, how does elevator algorithm work? ... |> cylinders, and even if they are of varying sizes (outer cylinders having ... the same goal, aside from any remapped substitute sectors, which probably ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: SCO OS 5.0.7 divvy limit with Megaraid & Mylex RAID5 controllers
    ... the cylinder limit in OSR5 disk geometry is 65535. ... particular driver / drive combination, ... cylinders reported by the kernel. ... 127- and 255-sector geometries when operating larger drives. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: tool to resize partitions on cylinder boundaries?
    ... limitation via a BIOS upgrade. ... The problem is that geometry the partition table was built with can differ ... However fdisk is able to display/entry in cylinders or sectors. ...
    (Debian-User)