What do the noapic/nolapic kernel arguments do?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading Chapter 9 of the Intel Processor Manuals, Vol 3A
(System Programming Guide), which details the APIC.
I have noticed that we often have to add the noapic and nolapic
arguments to the kernel command line to make devices like the wireless
card work. The explanation for these options simply stated that this
is to overcome "buggy bios implementations".

Can someone here explain what could possibly be the bug in the bios
that necessitates the use of these arguments? Further, what does the
kernel do differently when it sees these arguments?

Thanks for your help,
Mayank
.