Re: giving root access

On 2009-07-01 01:04 (-0700), zix wrote:

Hi, I know there has been enough discussion on this, but still cant
find the right answer.
If I change the /etc/sudoers file by visudo and try to give any user
root access, why cant i use adduser, or passwd?

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
zix ALL=(ALL) ALL

[zix@dns comps]$ adduser zix1
adduser: unable to lock password file

passwd sandy
passwd: Only root can specify a user name.

how do I make the change?any quick help please, somebody..

Sudo means access control through "sudo" command. So, try:

$ sudo adduser zix1
$ sudo passwd

That user (zix) needs to give his/her own address.

  • Re: giving root access
    ... root access, why cant i use adduser, or passwd? ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • giving root access
    ... Hi, I know there has been enough discussion on this, but still cant ... root access, why cant i use adduser, or passwd? ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: unable to su to root, sudo works
    ... sudo, miy user passwd, su, roots. ... then ran passwd for root to varify ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Tiger, Root User, SuperUser, FileVault, and Master Password
    ... >> It is better security to not have the same passwd to the user account ... >> as will get you into the root account. ... Sudo gets you into the root ... > does not add security. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: giving root access
    ... root access, why cant i use adduser, or passwd? ... passwd: Only root can specify a user name. ... Sudo means access control through "sudo" command. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)