Kernel code and processor's Cache

Hi,
I am just wondering will the kernel code and data be cached into the
SAME processor's caches used for user's applications? if yes, is there
any preset ratio of cache space? in high performance computing, often
the algorithms are ran on blocks of data and the references that i
read, consider the entire cache dedicated for user's applications?
This begs the question: is there any embedded processor cache
dedicated to cache only kernel code and data? if no, why was it not
included and how can we quantify kernel code caching space on the
user's application execution. Thank you

  • Re: Kernel code and processors Cache
    ... I expect the kernel code ... to pollute the cache for user accesses. ... many of the optimised scientific libraries benchmarks ... memory space/kernel memory space looks more logical for me ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Kernel code and processors Cache
    ... consider the entire cache dedicated for user's applications? ... if it turned out that putting kernel accesses in cache did more ... to pollute the cache for user accesses than to speed up kernel accesses, ... I expect the kernel code ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Kernel code and processors Cache
    ... to pollute the cache for user accesses. ... workload can change and how frequent and long the kernel code gets to ... memory space/kernel memory space looks more logical for me ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Kernel code and processors Cache
    ... David Schwartz writes: ... isn't cached in the dedicated kernel cache. ... the kernel code will have to predict whether data is going ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Performance comparison Alpha ES40 vs Itanium rx3600
    ... Whether a move to OpenVMS I64 and an Integrity server will speed your operations, or hinder them, depends greatly on various factors and data not yet in evidence. ... But whether it will be faster for your specific installation and your specific applications is a far more difficult question. ... An XFC cache of 77 MB does not look to be a particularly large cache, and would look like a potential performance constraint. ...
    (comp.os.vms)