how does pipe data chunking work?

Have to admit I'm not clear on this one.. when piping programs together on a
terminal, what determines how often the output of the first program is sent
to the second program? And what amount of data?

It seems that with a command like:
find . -iname \*bz2 -print0 | xargs -0 bunzip2

...find will execute in entirety, then pass on its output all at once..? I
tested this with a double zipped file. Like some_file.bz2.bz2. It gets
decompressed only once, resulting in some_file.bz2.

Yet a command like:
dd ... | gzip ...

...will send blocks at a time, and both programs work simultaneously.

--
Matthew 7:7

  • Re: how does pipe data chunking work?
    ... The first program decides this itself. ... output functions from and the C library then chooses a buffer size. ... the second program to read. ... There is a "stdbuf" command in recent versions of GNU coreutils, ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Interface
    ... I do admit that magic is useful, however, there's generally so much to chose ... from and so little space in which to keep it (that process called "spell ... > ^u is not unused in the roguelike command set. ... Well, if one is not modding the roguelike keyset, then one is not modding ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Easy APPEND and RENUMBER
    ... If you have access to a Commodore 128, you can easily APPEND two BASIC ... programs together using a single command: BLOAD. ... Originally published in RUN magazine circa 1991, the following command ... DLOAD in the first program you wish to APPEND. ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Re: tar/security best practice (was Re: RE: Is FreeBSDs tar susceptible to this?)
    ... On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Brett Glass wrote: ... > command, for example. ... sadly, i have to admit that won't work, not without adding in the leading ... "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: PLEASE!! How can I un-grey the Data-Import External Data-Import Data option ???
    ... able to use that command. ... I must admit to being very pissed off with this. ... wasted because this STOOPID bloody thing suddenly occured for no ... Bugger Bill Gates is all I ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)