Re: Core dumps (was Re: Starting an application from GDB prompt)

On Thu, 31 May 2012, Jorgen Grahn wrote:

On Thu, 2012-05-31, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
OTOH, a much better solution, especially since it also enables you to
get information about uncontrolled crashes, use ulimit -c to ensure
that you get a coredump despite your 'upstream distribution provider'
has silently disabled that lest someone could expect him to fix the
crashes in his software.

The same upstream distribution provider who also enabled core.<pid>
file names, thus ensuring that the buggy software fills the disk if
you /do/ enable core dumps ;-)

But seriously, do any Linux distributions enable core dumps by
default? Debian does not, and I'm not sure it ever did. I hear some
of the *BSDs do ...

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-abrt.html
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/core.5.html#EXAMPLE

$ sysctl kernel.core_pattern
kernel.core_pattern = |/usr/libexec/abrt-hook-ccpp %s %c %p %u %g %t e

Laszlo
.