Re: [ann] Microblaze uClinux Demo released

From: John Williams (jwilliams_at_itee.uq.edu.au)
Date: 08/26/03

    Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:27:11 +1000

    Antti Lukats wrote:
    > [mbvanilla on ml300 with linux image.bin?]
    >
    >>It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting the
    >>V2MB1000. Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg the
    >>location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find at
    >>0x80000000, for 16 Mb. Also the bootloader expects there to be
    >>AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000. The source of the bootloader comes with
    >>the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing that if
    >>necessary.
    >

    > ml300 has (lots of things) +
    > DDR RAM (no FLASH)
    > it is possible to preload the RAM from compact flash, so there is no
    > need for flash, and if the linux image expects to see the flash its
    > a problem :(

    Yes that should be fine. You should could pre-load the ram from CF,
    then jump immediately to 0x80000000, skipping the bootloader entirely.

    > I really would not like to write a ip core that 'emulates'
    > the non existing flash

    Well it's just a Xilinx ext . mem controller core, nothing fancy there,
    but I get your point :)

    > I have looked at mb ulinux several times, but while working on w2k
    > workstation it looks very complicated to get all the things to compile.

    yeah.. building linux kernels under cygwin is not for the faint hearted!

    > antti
    > PS I also have memec board with S2 600E and comm160 module there it
    > would possible be easier to get the mbvanilla and image.bin to work.

    That would be cool, haven't heard of anyone running uclinux on a spartan
    yet.

    > but,,, the flash on p160comm is not AMD?

    Correct, I think it's from Toshiba, but it implements the AMD command set.

    In recent progress (ie 20 minutes ago!), I just succesfully mounted a
    JFFS2 file system on the flash, so now microblaze uclinux supports
    wear-levelling flash-based persistent storage...

    next step is getting the xilinx ethernet mac working and integrated into
    mbvanilla, then see what sort of a job montavista did on the linux
    driver for it...

    Regards,

    John

    • Re: Kernel running XIP or from RAM?
      ... You mentioned the struct might be in flash even if the kernel has been ... downloaded into RAM. ... >> I would like to print some memory stats showing how the physical chip ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development)
    • Re: GUI for my embedded board
      ... loads the Linux kernel from flash into the RAM, maybe decompresses it, ... bootloader is used, sometimes it is primary bootloader and secondary ... But I really don't think that you can do this with 192 kB of RAM. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Minimal hardware requirement for uClinux
      ... Does anyone have experience on running uClinux ... > directly from Flash, so you will need much more RAM. ... kernel and filesystem, and have the bootloader unpack everything into RAM. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Trying to setup Linux on AT91RM9200EK
      ... direction to build a kernel I have used make menuconfig and make ... this U BOOT to try loading the kernel from ram and from flash. ...
      (comp.os.linux.embedded)
    • Re: Performance and Flash Pipelining on TI 28F12 DSPs
      ... > of "critical code" we could move to RAM. ... > from internal flash? ... Since the external RAM is as big as the internal flash, ... the timers and all other interrupts are shut off, ...
      (comp.dsp)