Re: Mini-ITX, LinuxBios and DOC

From: Vincent Crabtree (v.p.crabtree_at_lboro.ac.uk)
Date: 09/19/03

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:32:58 +0100

I was going to have a moduleless kernel and have my application and
everything in the initrd.

The idea of linuxbios is that you replace the bios with a doc. YOu then
program a bootloader which initialises the motherboards regsiters, loads the
kernel and then can load an initrd from the doc. This allows quicker boot up
time, custom display if you have one etc, along with the non-requirement for
a root file system.

I will use a moduleless kernel but i wanted to have my application in the
initrd file too decompressing to ram, without using a flash, usb, DOM etc as
the root file system.
"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mini-ITX, LinuxBios and DOC
    ... >program a bootloader which initialises the motherboards regsiters, loads the ... >kernel and then can load an initrd from the doc. ... Besides the quicker boot, it doesn't buy much for your application, does it? ... >the root file system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: waiting for root file system
    ... It was a sata disk in an external enclosure connected with USB, now it is in the same enclosure but conneceted with SATA cable. ... After 'waiting for root file system' and the 5 minute wait, initrd drops ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Re: init problems
    ... but I used custom initrd. ... Initrd is able to mount the root file system as read-only, which is what is suppose to happen. ... I thought at first that statd wasn't starting because portmap wasn't starting, but I downgraded portmap to 5-26 from etch, and now portmap will start, but statd still doesn't start. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Unable to boot with LVM mount on USB drive (Fedora 10)
    ... BTW for those that may have influence, would it be unreasonable to expect the default initrd to include usb-storage? ... The current approach is to build initramfs images that are tailored to a specific system - only the modules actually required to get the root file system going are included by default. ...
    (Fedora)