Re: Development Kit

From: Dan Kegel (dank-news_at_kegel.com)
Date: 10/02/03

Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 06:14:16 GMT

Fred wrote:
> I am interested in embedded system, especially, using linux.Actually,
> it is for my learning only.
> I can't afford too much, maybe arround US$100.
> I have tried linuxdevices.com before but there are too many vendors.
>
> Would you mind giving me suggestions?Can you suggest ways for me to
> learn embedded system?

Best way is to treat your PC as an embedded system,
and put together a tiny linux system on a floppy
using a cross-compiler (i686 -> i386) using uclibc!
That lets you learn most of the techniques without
spending any money!

For a free development toolkit, I recommend ptxdist
( http://www.pengutronix.de/software/ptxdist_en.html ).
It's not very fancy, but it's hitting critical mass,
and the developers are friendly. I love its simplicity
and flexibility (but then, I like vi :-)

I am trying to put together a bootable floppy using
ptxdist now, and will probably post a how-to once I've
got it figured out.
- Dan