Re: Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader

From: Gerhard Hoogterp (gerhard_at_frappe.xs4all.nl)
Date: 12/03/03

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:43:35 +0100

Måns Rullgård wrote:

>> I'm not the OP, but I'd be interesting to know if anyone has
>> successfully used a fingerprint reader as a way to log in under Linux.
>> Now *that* would be cool!.
>
> Possibly, and also insecure. I read about someone who had managed to
> lift a fingerprint from a reader, make a rubber finger, and have the
> reader verify it. Using fingerprints for authentication is almost
> like writing your password on the keyboard.

Maybe this is the information you are refering too?

http://heise.de/ct/english/02/11/114/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fingerprint Reader on Windows 2003 server
    ... >> Biometric devices are indeed part of a strong authentication policy. ... >> The current Microsoft Fingerprint reader is presently not supported on ... >>> Biometric devices are indeed part of a strong authentication policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Fingerprint Reader on Windows 2003 server
    ... >> Biometric devices are indeed part of a strong authentication policy. ... >> The current Microsoft Fingerprint reader is presently not supported on ... >>> Biometric devices are indeed part of a strong authentication policy. ...
  • Re: Toshiba Libretto U105 Review, sort of ...
    ... > On my U100 the scroll function is built into the print reader. ... I have to click on the fingerprint icon a couple of times to ... >>> the HP laptop. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Managing Passwords- UGH !
    ... I personally use a combination of the fingerprint reader and Roboform. ... the program and your logins on a flash drive. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: DigitalPersona locks my computer
    ... model 1032 keyboard with Finger print reader built in. ... I have had this computer/keyboard for over two years. ... problems with the fingerprint reader during that time. ... When I try my windows password it dosen't work. ...