Re: newbie needs help in IO

From: CBFalconer (cbfalconer_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:08:33 GMT

Nick Popoff wrote:
> cct94@hotmail.com (CC Tang) wrote in message
>
> > Can't help you if your application specifies the use of embedded
> > Linux... (and based on the question you ask about device drivers
> > reflect why Linux remains a rare choice for real-world systems
> > interfacing with industrial I/O).
>
> Care to explain why I answer sales inquiries and support questions all
> day from our huge list of Linux users? I'm a driver developer for a
> PC/104 company (Diamond Systems) and according to our support poll,
> 50% of our users are currently implementing projects in Linux. Rare?
> Maybe when I started at the company a few years ago, but not anymore.
>
> P.S. Since I'm battling Linux FUD I might as well pitch our products
> as well. :-) http://www.diamondsystems.com/. We have excellent Linux
> drivers for all our DAQ products.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe PC104 systems only have
the equivalent of ISA interfaces, with no PCI, AGP, USB, etc.
Thus your products and drivers are not useful for the cheapest of
hardware, the common PC.

Please don't take this as a criticism. I applaud your efforts.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!