Re: newbie needs help in IO

From: CBFalconer (cbfalconer_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 01/15/04

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:08:33 GMT

Nick Popoff wrote:
> cct94@hotmail.com (CC Tang) wrote in message
>
> > Can't help you if your application specifies the use of embedded
> > Linux... (and based on the question you ask about device drivers
> > reflect why Linux remains a rare choice for real-world systems
> > interfacing with industrial I/O).
>
> Care to explain why I answer sales inquiries and support questions all
> day from our huge list of Linux users? I'm a driver developer for a
> PC/104 company (Diamond Systems) and according to our support poll,
> 50% of our users are currently implementing projects in Linux. Rare?
> Maybe when I started at the company a few years ago, but not anymore.
>
> P.S. Since I'm battling Linux FUD I might as well pitch our products
> as well. :-) http://www.diamondsystems.com/. We have excellent Linux
> drivers for all our DAQ products.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe PC104 systems only have
the equivalent of ISA interfaces, with no PCI, AGP, USB, etc.
Thus your products and drivers are not useful for the cheapest of
hardware, the common PC.

Please don't take this as a criticism. I applaud your efforts.

   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: newbie needs help in IO
    ... > Care to explain why I answer sales inquiries and support questions all ... > day from our huge list of Linux users? ... > 50% of our users are currently implementing projects in Linux. ... > drivers for all our DAQ products. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • EPIA-M: DMA & VT8235 Lock-up
    ... importance also to other Linux users. ... So the board or the drivers have a DMA issue. ... I am wondering if this can be fixed in the LINUX Kernel or if this is an ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Torvalds Bitchslaps SCO in New Interview
    ... Linux users haven't mastered the Caps Lock key yet? ... Windows drivers are easy to find but I've never seen Linux ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • [GIT PULL] Blackfin fixing and updates for 2.6.30 merge window
    ... Blackfin arch: add sport-spi related resource stuff to board file ... include linux headers that this one uses definitions from fro sport drivers ... be less noisy when gets a gpio conflict after kernel has booted ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Can this loop be made faster ?
    ... BUT, as "compensation", nVidia do make the effort to support Linux by ... providing "binary only" drivers...the drivers are "closed source", ... registers and starts executing at ring 0...basically, ... > also need a hw able to do pixel shading. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)