Emacs alternative

j.munk_at_XremoveXthisXmaccor.com
Date: 02/18/04

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:07:41 +0100

I am working on an embedded project and I have decided to keep it relatively
generic. I am using gdb and gdbserver with the DDD shell for debugging,
which works pretty well for me, but for writing code the Emacs editor drives
me crazy. It is very classic, neat, clean and simple and most importantly
pretty well integrated with the gcc command line compiler. However,
absolutely no keystrokes besides the regular letters and digits are the
present standard neither in the GUI Linux world nor in the Windows world.
Since I am using both it's a pain in the ..... Whenever I hit the home key
to go to the start of the line it jumps to the start of the file, find is
called search and I haven't found a short cut for it yet and so on and on.

Isn't there are more modern editor available that integrates equally well
with the gcc compiler but still stays neat, clean and simple but STANDARD?
Something like a GUI Emacs.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jens.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: register variable
    ... >This, then, is a flaw in the GCC compiler. ... GCC produced a diagnostic, like the standard says ... error (compiler deletes offending source code) and catastrophic ... come under the "catastrophic error" heading, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Emacs alternative
    ... Nice color syntax highlighting and standard key functions. ... "programmer's editor", I have come to like it. ... > present standard neither in the GUI Linux world nor in the Windows world. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: Problems with Oracle OCI library - help please
    ... Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to ... comp.lang.c is a newsgroup for discussing the standard C programming ... Your problem isn't about standard C, rather it is about a highly ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Variable declaration - Is this valid in standard C?
    ... YES it is valid in standard C!!!! ... And if your compiler is BROKEN and doesn't support standard C ... The differences between gnu c99 implementation and ... the gcc compiler supports some features of c99 only ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Library Functions .... Standard ??
    ... i.e. is there any ANCI C standards for these functions. ... Some are standard, some aren't. ... most current draft of the standard; ... windows C compiler but gcc compiler in linux does not recognise it. ...
    (comp.lang.c)