Re: Is embedded Linux the right solution?

From: Ulf Samuelsson (ulf_at_atmel.nospam.com)
Date: 02/20/04

    Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:22:26 +0100

    "Ben" <benjamin-dREMOVETHIS@ntlworld.NOSPAM.com> skrev i meddelandet
    news:VW9Yb.15642$q%6.6073737@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...
    > Grant Taylor wrote:
    > > Probably not. IIRC this thing uses a 16 bit sparc; Linux is mostly
    > > successful on things with 32 bit cores and ideally an MMU.
    >
    > Many thanks for confirming my suspicions! I spent some time researching
    > it and concluded that my main reason for considering embedded Linux
    > wasn't for any technical reason, but enjoy fiddling with Linux and
    > thought it would be good fun if it worked!
    >
    > I now realise that would be an incredibly big *IF* on that hardware...
    >
    > > Furthermore, your application doesn't seem to fit Linux (or BSD)
    > > strengths. You don't need any networking, a Unix-like process model
    > > or APIs, etc.

    The AT43USB370 comes complete with USB Mass Storage Drivers.
    If you want to play with Embedded Linux and USB Host, then the AT91RM9200
    ARM9 controller might be what you are looking for.
    Connects very nicely to my USB Flash Drive

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

    • Re: usb mics for podcasting vs. a usb interface and an analog mic
      ... I'm trying to create a vocal narration outboard setup that has good ... I have a usb mic/headset right now. ... have a couple of them and IME they are really good general purpose mics. ... They tell me that SM7s are great VO mics and I have no reason to doubt that. ...
      (rec.audio.pro)
    • Re: How to connect USB keyboard to embedded device?
      ... I'd much rather support a PS/2 or standard AT keyboard connector. ... Where does one buy an ISA bus system anymore?? ... >than USB keyboards. ... connector is within reason. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: I want a guitar synth for my grandpappy
      ... Godin) don't have USB out - they have a proprietary 13-pin jack, ... protocol defined by Roland. ... The same box has MIDI outs, that you can use to connect with the MIDI ... AhHa ok Joey I see but I do use Reason v3 and Cubase SX3 (I have ...
      (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
    • Re: SCO 5.0.7 system lock-up on attempting to add USB hard drive
      ... UHIC Class 310 (USB 1.1) and does not work at all. ... running system for no good reason. ... command just hangs. ... Problem is how to rotate backup ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: Off switch blues
      ... when s/he removed the usb device. ... wake up the computer. ... a technical reason or not, but it's part of the usb spec and apple is ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)