Re: Compact flash; is it hot lugable

From: Wolfgang Denk (wd_at_denx.muc.de)
Date: 02/27/04

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:27:43 GMT

Alpinekid <alpinekid@yahoo.com> writes:

> I was wondering if the compact flash is actually hot pluggable?

No, it is not. Actually you can easily kill your CF card by removing
it while a write operation is in progress.

>I know the USB spec says that the USB device itself is hot pluggable.

This is something different. If you unplug the USB device while a
write operation to CF is in progress the CF card may die all the
same.

>I was also wondering if all USB devices are actually hot pluggable or
>have some manufactures cheated.

I wouldn't hold my breath here.

>I realize that I still have to do the right thing in linux and unmount
>the device before unplugging. No device can protect me from that kind of
>screwup.

Indeed.

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem."
                                  -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234