Re: How to tell an application to use a custom tcp/ip stack instead of tcp/ip stack from linux?

From: Nix (nix-razor-pit_at_esperi.org.uk)
Date: 07/05/05

    Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:53:13 +0100

    On 5 Jul 2005, CDP stated:
    > The makers of alternate tcp/ip stack (lwip) did not mention
    > anything to happen after the replacement.So do you think that the
    > alternate stack is working fine with my tftp application? I can not
    > even see a single difference b/w the linux tcp/ip stack and lwip , may
    > be I might have done wrong with my LD_PRELOAD environment variable . I
    > cross checked the LD_PRELOAD environment variable , its set to the path
    > of shared library gen erated by means of compiling the stack. Do you
    > know any other means of cross checking ? whether what I have done is
    > right?

    Well, you could stick some debugging fprintf()s into the library and
    see if they are printed.

    > One more thing is do you have any idea about kernel modification and
    > recompilation for this problem.., I mean stack replacement problem
    > under linux ..?

    Unless the lwip stack was written to fit into the Linux kernel
    networking layer, you'll pretty much have to rewrite it --- and the
    TCP/IP stack isn't exactly easily replaceable, except with something
    that satisfies the same internal interface contracts and locking
    rules (many of which aren't documented).

    It's *possible*, of course, but extremely difficult, and definitely not
    worth it for a test run!

    (But if you *did* replace the kernel's TCP/IP stack, it's likely that
    nothing would need to be recompiled. At least, if you did it properly.)

    --
    `But of course, GR is the very best relativity for the masses.'
     --- Wayne Throop