Re: Proc directory on CompactFlash

Murray R. Van Luyn schrieb:

I want to build a small RTLinux system on a CompactFlash, but don't know
what to do with the /proc directory.

I think I'm supposed to put the /tmp directory on a TMPFS in ram to avoid
wearing out the flash device too quickly.

I've heard of the contents of /proc being referred to as 'virtual'. Does
that mean they are not actually stored on disk and can then be forgotten
about? Otherwise, if the contents of /proc really are files stored on a
disk, then do I do the same thing with the /proc directory as the /tmp
directory?

Only the /proc directory itself should exist (empty) on your root drive.
Then say "mount -t proc proc /proc" somewhere in your startup or put the
equivalent line in /etc/fstab if you have that.

The *contents* of /proc are created directly by the kernel whenever it's
accessed - reading a file in proc really connects your user space
program directly to some kernel function that produces its content
on-the-fly. Same for writing - your process gets connected to some
kernel function that takes the data from your application and does
something with it.

So except for the top /proc directory itself, nothing in /proc exists on
any disk.

--
Linards Ticmanis

  • Re: putting "/tmp" to memory help
    ... Sven Joachim wrote: ... used by files in the tmpfs, it can be used by other applications. ... disk caching, etc., and therefore be reported as 'used'? ... have just terminated a process that used a lot of RAM. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: tmpfs?
    ... I keep /tmp in tmpfs and let it swap ... to the 2GB disk partition if the system needs that RAM for something else. ... As for alocatting "real" memory ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to shutdown and restart (one, next time) in single user runlevel 1 ?
    ... systems with plenty of ram. ... That's what tmpfs is for, ... So the ideal is that these files never end up on a disk. ... The file's data itself is probably still in memory in caches, unless you are really tight on memory. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Proc directory on CompactFlash
    ... I think I'm supposed to put the /tmp directory on a TMPFS in ram to avoid ... that mean they are not actually stored on disk and can then be forgotten ... program directly to some kernel function that produces its content ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: [Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp
    ... You could have much bigger than RAM size as long as you have big enough ... I once had 10GB tmpfs ... But that may cause concern for disk wareout if you are using SSD. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)