Re: to show that RTLinux is faster than Linux

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:19:39 -0700, amitbhat555 wrote:

hi i'm doing a project which requires to prove practically that RTLinux
is faster than Linux ..
can any one help me in this matter.

Real time is about latency, speed is generally a measure of throughput. A
server running a Realtime O/S will typically have lower throughput than a
standard kernel, its latency (time to respond) will be faster, but it will
not benefit as much from queues and processing large chunks without
context switches.

The majority of workloads requiring realtime have only a small realtime
element, so its normal to run one process as realtime and the rest of the
system scheduled around it - kind of best of both worlds.

You need to analyse the workload, separate hard-realtime, realtime
and standard parts of the workload. If you have hard-realtime requirements
then you cant "prove" anything - as only a realtime O/S can achieve these.

You need to work much harder on understanding what you are trying to prove
before you device a method to prove it .........

Jon

  • Re: Is FREEDOS a real time OS?
    ... Unless an OS is explicitely labeles as "realtime", ... One realtime version of Linux, that I have seen, allows you to ... As I mentioned I have a very old PC which has both a RH 7.3 partition ... to handle projects that do involve real time stuff. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc)
  • Re: are embedded systems usually real-time systems?
    ... are *not* real time. ... I doubt that the term "realtime" appears in the ... Keyboard is obviously a fairly soft real-time case. ... But engine controls are real-time. ...
    (comp.realtime)
  • Re: 2.6.21-rc1: known regressions (v2) (part 2)
    ... were taking latency hits, and disabled it, which helped a bunch. ... You're then saying that you prefer realtime priorities to not ... user decision every time we force a sibling idle. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Is FREEDOS a real time OS?
    ... Unless an OS is explicitely labeles as "realtime", ... One realtime version of Linux, that I have seen, allows you to ... to handle projects that do involve real time stuff. ... bad luck installing any form of Linux other than what is already on ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc)
  • Re: What is the draw of VMS?
    ... for "real time" is no longer so important because computers can deliver ... Solving it the Unix way would be to use a Unixwith realtime capabilities ... Look at the various solutions and you'll find either that they are soft realtime, or that they have a realtime kernel, and Unix is run as one process on that kernel. ...
    (comp.os.vms)