Re: Howto build kernel in debug mode

Bodhi <x@xxx> writes:
What I have to do to build a linux kernel 2.6.18 in debug mode ?
What do you mean by debug mode? Do you want to use the debug
option
in gcc to build the kernel (or) want to to debug the kernel using a
debugger?

I need to buld the kernel with debug option and after that debug it
with a debugger.

If you have a kernel w/ kgdb support, than this would be one with a
'unoffical' patch applied. Is this certain? If not, trying to get
along with 'printk' and/or CONFIG_DEBUG_LL is probably easier.

  • [GIT PULL] kdb / early debug (2 of 2) for 2.6.35
    ... I did not receive acks or feedback from any x86 maintainers at this ... before the time the mainline kernel I/O ... drivers supported early debugger access. ... but the API in the debug core is generic. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 8.0RC2 amd64 - kernel panic running make buildworld
    ... I installed 8.0RC2-amd64 on an 8-core opteron server a few days ago. ... With 8.0-RC2 debug flags and witness seem to be disabled in the ... build a debug kernel without my server crashing.. ... I think 8.0-BETA4 still had the debugger compiled in (you can test by ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • [GIT PULL] V2 kdb / early debug (2 of 2) for 2.6.34
    ... I did not receive acks or feedback from any x86 maintainers at this ... before the time the mainline kernel I/O ... drivers supported early debugger access. ... but the API in the debug core is generic. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • [GIT PULL] kdb / early debug (2 of 2)
    ... I did not receive acks or feedback from any x86 maintainers at this ... before the time the mainline kernel I/O ... drivers supported early debugger access. ... but the API in the debug core is generic. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Firewire blues
    ... I compiled a kernel with exactly the same options that you cited below. ... it entering the debugger and waiting for the remote gdb attach. ... When I try to attach from the debug machine, ...
    (freebsd-hackers)