Re: RAM test question

"Zhenhuan Du" <duzhenhuan@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ek3vua$c1f$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Peter Dickerson wrote:
"Zhenhuan Du" <duzhenhuan@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ejsdhb$94v$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I want to test RAM Address bus ,Data bus and Every Cell completely.
Can you give me some hint? Thanks!

Vivekanandan M wrote:
> Hello ,
You can also write the RAM test routine in C!! It all depends on
what kind of RAM test you want to perform before starting your
application.

Best Regards,
Vivekanandan M

Zhenhuan Du wrote:
Hello!

I have a board with NET+50 (with ARM7TDMI core) , NOR FLASH and
SDRAM.
And one question:
Codes are stored in FLASH , if I want to test RAM and print out some
message or get some command through RS-232 serial port before codes
are
loaded into RAM and begin to run.Then RAM test routine must be written
in assembly language,right? Or can i write the test routine in C since
assembly programming is very time consuming?

If you can lock the 8K cache then you can use it for stack and local
variables for a C app running directly from Flash. It is probably useful
to find out how to do that anyway because you don't want the cache
getting in the way of RAM testing.

thanks for your advice ,Peter! It's really a good idea! Further question:
What about an CPU without cache or integrated ram ?
I think it's better finding a general solution.

There is a point at which you have to trust something. Does your RAM and
Flash share address or data busses? If so then a fault at the RAM might
interfere with the Flash operation. How to you program the Flash in the
first place - before soldering to the board or via JTAG. Its not uncommon to
need some RAM to work for JTAG programming to work (e.g. download
programming code into RAM). If you have RAM in your CPU and you trust the
chip then I'd accept that as a gift. Writing code to test RAM *and* report
failures without using any RAM for workspace is likely to be much harder
work. To do this you will have to run from Flash and only use registers for
work space. You won't be able to do it in C because you can't have a stack.
With an ARM the subroutine call can be used without RAM but you'll need to
avoid nested calls.

Peter

  • Re: CPUs and boards for hobbyists?
    ... Yes, you can run code in RAM, in fact much faster. ... 150MHz (flash would need many wait states and at most 100MHz). ... it turns out that we don't really need any library codes and we might switch to Freescale's MC13202 anyway. ... we want to hide all the ugly interrupt codes from the application layer. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Performance and Flash Pipelining on TI 28F12 DSPs
    ... > of "critical code" we could move to RAM. ... > from internal flash? ... Since the external RAM is as big as the internal flash, ... the timers and all other interrupts are shut off, ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet
    ... The fact is, enterprise scale ramdisks are here now, while ... enterprise scale flash is not. ... does not approach the write performance of RAM, ... My goal is not to replace RAM with flash, but disk with flash. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Relocate from nor to ddr CE 5.0
    ... programmed into flash. ... but the image info says it belongs to ram. ... Your bootloader needs to have code that recognizes if the image is ... blt CODEINRAM ...
  • XIP vs RAM
    ... Maybe the system can even get away with the next small size RAM ... Does anyone know if/what the premimum of the "K" Strata FLASH is? ... Also what are the steps needed to transition to a XIP OS? ... >>> My bootloader create a BINFS partition and an EXTENDED partition on ...