Re: Are they obligued to give me the source code?

Ignacio G.T. wrote:
Grant Edwards escribió:
On 2007-10-09, Ignacio G.T. <igtorque.remove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In any case, I thought that, as the distro they sell us is
based on GPL software, they should at least provide us with
the source and configuration files needed to rebuild the
kernel. Are they obliged to do that, or am I wrong?

Yes they are required to. All of the embedded Linux vendors
I've ever seen do so. Have they told you they won't? If so,
who are they?

Thanks, Grant. A commercial guy from the distributor told me so, but he was going to check it with the distro makers. I'll give them a chance before publishing their name.

They have to give you the source code if you ask for it, but they are allowed to charge a small handling fee - they are not obliged to make the source code a free-for-all download link. But they *are* obliged to tell you of your rights under the GPL.

  • Re: Are they obligued to give me the source code?
    ... based on GPL software, they should at least provide us with ... the source and configuration files needed to rebuild the ... kernel. ... All of the embedded Linux vendors ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • How would one go bumping up ARG_MAX (limit on execv) in Tru64?
    ... My original thought was to change the limit in syslimits.h, rebuild the ... kernel and reboot. ... the source code under /usr/sys, and I couldn't find any place where a ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: Are they obligued to give me the source code?
    ... Grant Edwards escribió: ... based on GPL software, they should at least provide us with ... the source and configuration files needed to rebuild the ... kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: USB Hard Drive Activity Slows down Host
    ... data through a USB controller. ... efficient if it happens to work in the kernel version you ... The GPL software must be very wonderful ... except for the 6 months or so when firewire disk support ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: open source copyright
    ... am going to put in a public domain. ... the source code, ... Since it is derived from GPL software you need to release it that way as ... position is re copyright-- whetehr they own it or whetehr you do.i If this ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)