Re: Beginning Embedded Development

The specs we agreed it should have as min:
200Mhz CPU
32Mb RAM (we would prefer 64 but that is price dependant)
256Mb On board flash (we could get away with smaller but I'd rather
start big and scale down, although a board that uses SD cards instead
is also acceptable).
2x USB host ports (minimum, 4 at most)
1x Ethernet port (Again *if* we could find one with 2 that would be
better as one of the projects we had in mind was a network based one)
case (if possible to protect the board (from my tea addiction :) ) )

Take a look at http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/, especially
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/ and http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/.

If you want to create something similar to the NSLU2, you could begin with
one. To add other USB ports, you could simply take a (relatively cheap) USB
hub, strip any casing and include it into the box; something like in:
http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades. This is
for the EEE PC, though.

I don't think you will get your do-it-yourself-solution any cheaper than
this. Because - what others said - you won't get a board with the components
you'd like for anything like 100$ ; and even with a budget of 200$ you'd be
severely limited.

You can, of course, do with the NSLU2 whatever you would do with your custom
board. And, as it's ARM architecture, it's a real embedded device. Not to
forget - it is supported by a known Linux distribution, which means, that,
if you don't have the time or the will to develop any further, you can still
get a working and usable system.

Best regards,
Sebastian

  • Re: Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage Link
    ... NTFS drives. ... Anyone with or considering an NSLU2 would probably benefit from ... Support FAT HDD and FLASH in USB Port 1 ... Fix bug that cannot copy large zip file into FAT HDD. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Multiple HDs on an NSLU2
    ... Steve Fryatt wrote: ... As it stands naked and in the raw so to speak, an NSLU2 can only have ... while only one can be used with a memory stick. ... "USB Flash memory devices can only be inserted in the upper USB port ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.networking)
  • Re: Small System Paging Problem - OOM-killer goes nuts
    ... Is your 486 running a IDE disk on a normal interface or ... I wonder if the NSLU2 only having I/O via USB ... file systems and a kernel that doesn't include anything ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Small System Paging Problem - OOM-killer goes nuts
    ... if the NSLU2 only having I/O via USB might be significant. ... kernel and I've seen spurious reports across the internet about similar ... It's similar to the NSLU2 except it has 64MB of RAM and a built-in ... PCI PATA controller. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: how can I tell which USB my Dell supports?
    ... Tom Scales wrote: ... USB 2. ... USB host ports, ... I'd say it's certain that you have USB 2 ports. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)