Backup to USB drive kills system

From: Rob Freeman (sysadmin_at_fleetone.com)
Date: 08/04/03

Date: 4 Aug 2003 08:29:26 -0700

I added an external USB hard drive to my redhat 9 box in the hopes of
backing up data to it. I have used a tar command and the rsync to test it.
What happens after a while is the entire redhat OS comes to a halt while
the USB drive catches up with the data being sent to it. Nothing functions
during this time frame, aka sendmail, KDE, etc. Once the USB drive catches
up, then it will work for a few seconds until the drive needs to catch up
again. It is a USB2 connection. Is there a way to make this process take
less resources on the copy, or slow down the copy. I tried the bwlimit=KBPS
to try to limit the traffic, but that did not work.

Rob Freeman
Fleetone

Relevant Pages

  • Re: USB/SCSI layer problem with CD Writer
    ... It comes up ok in the usb and scsi ... The 2.2 kernel series had abysmal USB Mass Storage support. ... Which Redhat 7? ... USB problems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • USB Problems
    ... I am a newbie to RedHat, but not quite a newbie to Linux. ... Yesterday I installed RedHat on my PC and everything went beautifully. ... My USB Keyboard and USB Mouse did not work... ... sound card is also not working, it too being built into the mother ...
    (RedHat)
  • USB Problems
    ... I am a newbie to RedHat, but not quite a newbie to Linux. ... Yesterday I installed RedHat on my PC and everything went beautifully. ... My USB Keyboard and USB Mouse did not work... ... sound card is also not working, it too being built into the mother ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: USB drivers
    ... > RedHat 9 IS compiled with USB support. ... and any other rpm distribution) will have to decide what to do with modified ... Rather than just deleting a modified file, ... > then inserted my USB IDE harddisk and it all worked well! ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • usbnet problems, usb0 not there
    ... I believe the ipaq USB works fine but the RH9 box won't attact a usb0 ... The ipaq USB networking works when I plug into windows but not Linux. ... Using Redhat 2.4.20-8 kernel, lsmod shows: ...
    (RedHat)